top of page

Whipple Peck, Jr.

Researcher: Paul Marzoratti


          Whipple Peck, Jr. was born as the son of Whipple Peck and Rosallana Harris, in Rhode Island. Most of Whipple’s family lived in Rhode Island. Solomon Peck, his grandfather, from Wrentham, Massachusetts, married Philadelphia Whipple from Providence, Rhode Island. They had about eight children, one of which was Whipple’s father, Whipple. He married Rosalina Harris and had two children, Whipple and Russell. Russell, his brother, stayed in Rhode Island and got married to Olivia Ann Whipple.

          Whipple Peck, Jr. married Marion Burr and lived in Franklin on School Street. They brought life to their son Albert E Peck in Vermont in 1865. In the their household also lived Marion’s father, Nathan Burr, at the age of 78. Their household was a very normal household. Whipple worked as a Straw Hat Presser, his wife stayed at home, his son Albert went to school, and his father in law also stayed at home due to his old age. When his son got older he moved to Framingham, Massachusetts.

          When the Civil War came around, Whipple enlisted with the 1st Regiment, Rhode Island Cavalry. The regiment lasted from December 14, 1861 to August 2, 1861. During the spring of 1861 First Rhode Island Infantry was mustered into service by order of Governor William Sprague, and was to be led by Colonel Ambrose Burnside. Their duty was to protect Washington DC. When they arrived to Washington DC, they spent their first night at the Naval Yard, then they were moved temporarily to the U.S. Patent Office located on "8th" and "F" Streets. Soon they were moved again to the camp that would bare their governors name "Camp Sprague.” One Officer and Sixteen enlisted men were killed and mortally wounded and two Officers and 77 enlisted men die by disease a total 96.

          The 1st regiment of Rhode Island, infantry, took part in the famous battle at Bull Run. They left Washington at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, July 15. They stayed that night at Annandale and occupied Fairfax Court-House; they remained there that Wednesday. The next day they proceeded to Centreville, where they would stay until Sunday morning, July 21, where the whole Army got ready to fight. They went to Manassas where the battle would begin and the river of Bull Run.

          The battle at Bull Run looked like it would be a very easy win for the Union. General Irvin McDowell was leading the union. In the beginning the Union fought off the Confederates for most of the day. But later that day the tables turned and they lost the battle on General Thomas J Jackson counter attack. The battle resulted with the Union gathering 1,000,000 men to fight back in revenge. The 1st regiment of Rhode Island was soon all sent home. Whipple was discharged of participate due to wounds that he had.

bottom of page