top of page

Walter M. Fisher

Researcher: Krista Morgante


            Within the many men who fought in the Civil War, soldier Walter M. Fisher was very important. Fisher was a part of the forty-fifth Massachusetts Regiment, which was also known as “The Cadet Regiment.” Even though the forty-fifth Massachusetts Regiment served only nine months, the effects impacted the union army.

            On December 14, 1862 at a place called Kinston in Lenoir County, North Carolina, a battle took place. This battle was part of the Goldsborough Expedition. A union army, which included the forty-fifth Regiment of Massachusetts, was sent to disrupt the railroad service at Goldsborough. However, they met fierce resistance from the confederate army at Kinston. The ensuing battle was a victory for the union forces that drastically outnumbered the confederate soldiers.

            On December 16, 1862, two days after their victory at Kingston, the union troops reached a place called Whitehall in Wayne County, North Carolina. They faced another confederate army. Although the results of the skirmish were considered inconclusive, it allowed the main column of union soldiers to continue past Whitehall in to Goldsborough, towards the railroad.

            On December 17, 1862, the union army reached the railroad at a place called Evertsville in Wayne County, North Carolina. They proceeded in destroying the railroad tracks towards the Goldsborough Bridge. A confederate brigade fought with the union army but was unable to prevent the destruction of the railroad bridge at Goldsborough. This was a victory for the union army because it disrupted the flow of supplies for the confederate army.


            In these three battles, there were estimated casualties of six hundred and eighty-five total in Kinston, one hundred and fifty total in Whitehall and two-hundred and twenty more at the Goldsborough Bridge. Within a period of four days, the union army led by General John G. Foster, encountered three different confederate armies and successfully completed his mission. Although it was considered a success, there were over one thousand casualties, from both confederate and union forces.

            Following his service, Walter Fisher returned to Franklin and was an active member of the Franklin Post of the Grand Army of the Republic. He lived on Central Street near Main Street.  He sold hay, grain and lumber.

bottom of page