top of page

Owen O. Wales

Researcher: Meredith Green

          Owen O. Wales was a Civil War soldier for the Union born on August 5, 1838. He resided in Franklin, and earned a living as a bonnet presser. His father’s name was Otis Wales Jr. and his mother's name was Jerusiah Wales. Owen had several brothers and sisters, and he was the youngest out of all of them. Several of his brothers were also Civil War soldiers, however, one of his brothers, Jonathan, was involved in a murder suicide. Although there is no record of to whom or when, Owen was at some point married, but had no children. 

          Owen was a part of Company C, 45th Regiment Massachusetts. His military career began on August 4, 1862 when the call for nine months troops was sent out, which was the beginning of the 45th regiment. His rank into the army was a private, as was his rank out of the army. On September 26, 1862, at Camp Meigs, all of the companies were assembled, except for Company I and K. Then on November 5, the entire regiment moved to Morehead City, a suburb of Beaufort, North Carolina, on a steamer, “Mississippi”, and arrived on November 15. Here, at Morehead City, the regimental camp was organized on the Trent River, near Fort Gaston. While the rest of the regiment left to fight in battles such as Goldsboro and Kinston, Company C was sent out to Morehead City on November 29.

          Along with the rest of Company C, on January 3, 1863, Owen returned from Morehead city and joined the rest of Regiment 45. They wasted no time, and on January 17, they began an expedition to Trenton, and on January 22, they returned. The 45th Regiment was a spectator on March 14, watching the Confederates attack Newbern. They then began yet another expedition to Core Creek on a railroad leading toward Goldsboro on April 27. The next day of their journey, they had a run-in with the Confederates. One man was killed, and four were wounded. This would be the last expedition for this regiment, and July 30 was a glorious day for Owen and the rest of his regiment. They arrived at their destination, and then went to their old camp at Reedville. On July 8, the regiment was mustered out of service. Throughout their entire journey, 19 men were either killed or extremely wounded, and about 32 men were enlisted by disease.

bottom of page