Frank F Hodges

Researcher: Stephanie Twist


            Private Frank F Hodges of the Massachusetts forty fifth regiment, company C, was first enertered into ther civil war at Camp Meigs, Readville, September 26, 1862. There he was a part of the UnionA army of the Massachusetts Infantry (militia).

The Regiment that he was assigned to moved to Morehead City, North Carolina, on a steam boat called "The Mississippi" on Novemeber 5th, 1862. It was called the " Cadet Regiment" where its field and line officers were taken from the first Massachusetts Corps Cadet, where they where recruited at camp Meigs, Readville. They were mustered in for nine months betweeen September 26th 1862 and October 28th 1862. The officers where from the Boston area and the immidiate vacinity, with ranks from over two-hundred cities and towns. There where a total of forty officers and nine hundred and eighteen men, and in total they lost twenty men that where killed and twenty seven men by disease.

After Morehead City, the fortyfifth regiment left for Newberne, North Carolina, on November 5, 1862. When they all arive they where assigned to Colonial Armory's Brigade; the seventeeth, the twentythird, the fortythird, and the fiftyfirst Massachusetts Infantry remained inactive to December 12th 1862. All but company C and G went on to the Goldsboro expedition where they actively engaged at Kinston and Whithall. On December 16th, when they reached Whithall where they where holding the North banks of the Neuse River. The Federals demonstrated against the confederates for much of the day, attempting to fix them in a position, while the main Union column continued toward the railroad. There was no action while they where at Goldsboro.

 After the Goldsboro expedition, they headed for Trenton, North Carolina.

After Trenton the Fortyfifth regiment moved to the expedition to Core Creek. They engaged at Dover Road and it was the end of there active Campaigning. They remained encamped in the

neighborhood of Fort Spinola from April 28th, 1863 till June 24th, 1863. The fortyfifth regiment then broke camp and returned home, reaching Boston June 30th 1863.