Henry P Adams

All that was found on Henry P. Adams was that he resided in Franklin Massachusetts at some point in his life. It is unfortunate that no more information was found then that. There was no record of birth, marriage, or death of him in Franklin. However, what is known is that he was in the 13th Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry and then switched over to the 1st Battalion Massachusetts Heavy Artillery. In the 1st Battalion he was placed in Company C and while in the 13th Regiment he was in Company H. Both stations he was in took part in significant battles.

            The 13th Regiment was assembled in the year 1861. They were first sent to Maryland. By the last summer and fall of that year, the Regiment had placed guards on the upper part of the Potomac River between Hagerstown and Darnestown, Maryland. The following yeah, 1862, the regiment proceeded to cross the Potomac.

            When the Second Battle of Bull Run came around, the regiment took place in it. During it, they were engaged at the Thoroughfare Gap where they resisted the advancing troops of General Longstreet. That took place on August 82, 1862. Then, on August 30, General Z.B. Tower took over the brigade because there old General, General Hartsuff, had fallen ill and could no longer carry on. Once under the new command the troops were engaged near Bald Hill where they lost 36 officers and several men were either killed or mortally wounded. When this happened, the 13th was the mixed in with the 12th Massachusetts.

            It was after that, that the regiment was engaged in the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862. During this battle, the Regiment suffered numerous losses, which was a low blow to them. When the battle was over, it was the Union Army that was the victor. However, it was the bloodiest single day battle with a total of at least 18,000 men wounded. Of that 18,000 at least 21,000 of them were from the Union army, while 27,000 were from the Confederate army. After the battle, they then spent the winter of 1862 in a camp near Fletcher’s Chapel which is near Belle Plain. The regiment stayed there until the harsh winter of 1863 was over.

            The 13th then went on to fight in the Battle of Chancellorsville on May 1 through the 4 of 1863. At the battle they were under the command of General Robinson and General Leonard. The outcome of the battle was that the Confederates prevailed. However, it was a fight to the finish. With Stoneman’s Cavalry missing in action, the Union was deprived of the intelligence about the strength of the Confederate Army. It is thought that if the cavalry had shown up, General Hooker could have won the battle. Unfortunately, the Union army lost at lease 18,000 men, where as the Confederate army lost about 13,000 men. The troops only suffered a small loss at the battle of Chancellorsville which was beneficial because they would need all the men they could get for the next battle they would partake in.

            On July 1, 1863, the regiment was under the command of only General Robinson. It was on this day that they became engaged in the Battle of Gettysburg. They were posted on the right of the troops near Oak Hill. During the course of the battle, the 13th lost many men, and even more prisoners. The 13th, despite there heavy losses, faired quite well. Once the battle had ended, General Robert E. Lee gave up all hope of trying to invade the North, and most people consider this the turning point of the whole war. At lest 30% of all the men involved in the battle were dead by the end of it. The Union army suffered a loss of 23,000 men either killed or wounded severely. The Confederate army, however, suffered a loss of 28,000 men who were either killed or wounded. The Battle of Gettysburg was the last major battle that the 13th Regiment took part in.

            The 13th Regiment’s active duty ended on July 14, 1864 after thee three year service was up. The re-enlisted men were sent to the 39th Regiment, which was not the case Henry P. Adams. The regiment reached Boston on July 21, 1864, and it was there that they were furloughed until August 1. On that particular day, the members of the 13th Regiment came together on the Boston Common and their service was officially ended.

            Henry P. Adams then went on to join the 1st Battalion Massachusetts Heavy Artillery. The 1st Battalion was organized in April of 1865. There were Companies A through F, and Adams was placed in Company C. Company C was on duty at Fort Warren which was in Massachusetts. The fort was a training center for several regiments. It was also a detention site for prisoners of war. The whole fort was commanded by Colonel Justin Dimick. The Company stayed at Fort Warren until October of 1865. The troops that Adams was mixed in with were mustered out on October 20, 1865.

            Presuming that Adams survived the whole war, it is most likely that he went back to Franklin. However, since not much is known about Adams and whether he lived through the war, it is not fair to make a set conclusion on his life after the Civil War. Regardless of whether he survived the war or not, his placement in the war partook in several big battles, and played an important part in the war itself.